Monday, September 20, 2010

Bath Time Bliss


MacKenzie has taken bath time and turned it into an art form! She has learned to make typhoon-sized waves and splashes. I think we will definitely need some sort of waterproofing for the carpet around the bathtub! I watched as she leaned over the side of the tub and stretched out to get her rinse cup. She captured it, and promptly sat down in the water and submerged the cup to fill it up, purposefully. She made it happen on purpose, as opposed to playing around and it happened by happy accident. I love watching her experience things, learn from them, and use them later to her advantage. The assimilation of knowledge is an amazing process, and I am honored to be witness to this miracle through MacKenzie.

*The bathtime picture above is not from today, but one afternoon that Grammy gave her an impromptu and very necessary bath in our kitchen sink! MacKenzie had fun looking out the window while getting all clean!

We had a fun weekend...we took time out from our housework weekend to play at Paulus' Farm Fun Fort on Saturday. MacKenzie got to play with other kids (she had her first run-in with a bigger kid who wasn't playing nice..he knocked over her chair...she was none too pleased with him) and crawl around in and around and on hay bales. She crawled in the grass and got her first grass stains on her jeans! She had so much fun with all of that freedom! She got to play in a hay bale (and plastic) tunnel. I wasn't sure we were ever going to get her out of it! She crawled from one end to the other over and over again. From Daddy's end to me was downhill, but to go back again was, of course, uphill. That was entirely too much fun to watch...MacKenzie would go a little bit and then slide back down just enough to send her into fits of giggles. And she would get to the end where we were waiting for her, and get just close enough that we could almost reach her to pull her out, and then turn around giggling and carrying on and would crawl back to the other side. We repeated that many times, until I finally caught her at the bottom end. Poor MacKenzie! Foiled again!

Sunday was a big day for our little girl too. We again took time out of housekeeping and errand-running to have a little dinner. We went to Italian Oven for a late lunch/early dinner. We ordered off the menu for MacKenzie for the first time! I normally just get something that the baby would enjoy eating and she shares with me, but we got her a plate of penne pasta with marinara sauce, a meatball and a glass of water. She ate off of a plate and everything! She was so proud of herself! (And we were too...!) We had the leftovers for lunch today. She has learned to share...she offers little bites of her food to you while she is eating. It is precious!

Now I am watching her sleep as I am writing this. My little darling is now able to embrace sleepy nap time, and decide to fall asleep on her own. Not so much at night, but definitely during the day. Her little blue and purple polka dot butt is sticking up in the air, and her thumb is in her mouth. She just couldn't be any cuter!

*And just one more note to mention...MacKenzie finally took two steps to Daddy last night! Yay! He's been waiting for that for quite some time now!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I've been pondering two things you've conquered! I'm trying to figure out how to feed Elyse more table foods. Have you been making finger foods?

    And going to nap on her own?! Madness, I say. Hard to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this comment...I'm a little slow on mastering new things these days!

    I cut up the things we are eating that I think she can handle and I make them bite sized. She has been eating our food for about a month now. I haven't made baby food except for peach and apple sauces for a while.

    She often naps on her own, but sometimes she needs to be snuggled. That's par for the course...sometimes I do too!

    Last night, she fell asleep after her bath on her own in the crib without a bottle. And she slept through the night! I had a bottle ready this morning when she woke up because I knew she'd be hungry!

    ReplyDelete